The first all-steel cabooses built for the
Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad were produced in 1937 by the Magor
Car Corporation in Clifton, N.J. Magor, along with St. Louis Car
Company and ACF, ultimately built a total of 350 cabooses for the
C&O using a similar design. The last were produced in 1949.
Through subsequent rebuilding and modernization, many remained in
service through the end of regular caboose usage in the 1980s.
Cabooses of a similar design were also built for Pere Marquette,
Missouri Pacific and Chicago & Eastern Illinois.