NARC - HO Scale - 4 Bay Cylindrical Hopper - Red Gov't of Canada (CPWX) (Red w/White Lettering) (Version f010) (Special Features) - Single Car - Road Numbers 1-12 Available (SKU 11-30010004)
Available On: August 1, 2017
Version 10 - Grain Car
In the 1970's, Canadian National & Canadian Pacific developed a concept for a standard 4550 cubic-foot 4-bay cylindrical hopper. The basic design of this hopper was developed into two car types, one for grain and similar consistency products and another for potash, dry chemicals and fertilizers.
The most obvious difference between these two types of cars can be seen in the loading hatches on the top of the cars. The grain version of the car has trough hatches spanning the length of the body top, while the potash version has a series of round hatches spaced along the length of the body.
During the production life of the design, thousands of these care were manufactured in various production runs by three different manufacturers. Hawker Siddeley produced many of these cars over the production run, and in total produced 15 variations of the basic design between the grain and potash types of this car.
Today, thousands of these cars remain in service with Canadian Pacific, Canadian National and a number of other operators. Many can be seen in their original "Heritage" paint schemes, as well as more modern schemes, such as the colorful 2008 Green Saskatchewan Grain Car Corporation scheme. Though they initially were primarily seen in Canada, they now travel the rails of North American from Canada to Mexico, with operations in many parts of the United States.
Prototype Spotting Features:
- Body 1, Type 2 End (Low Brace End with Vertical Brake Wheel House, with rectangle cross brace)
- Vertical Face on Bolster
- Low Mounted Air Tank
- Trough Hatch
- Toogle Lock (Outlet Gate)
- 11 Running Board Supports
- Welded (Smooth) Outlet Gate
Features of the model as appropriate per prototype:
- Meticulously researched and designed
- 2 different running boards (11 or 17 supports) – etched brass
- Etched Brass Crossover Platforms (with individually applied supports)
- 5 different Ends (bracing variations)
- 2 Different Outlet Gates (Toggle Lock and Spiral Cog)
- Investment castings for capstans (end of gates)
- 2 Different Hand Brakes (conventional and “High Power” Ellcon-National
- 2 Different Reservoir Positions (low for truck mounted cylinders and high for body mounted cylinders)
- External brake Rod on cares with body mounted brakes cylinders (including levers)
- 3 Different styles of trough hatches (smooth, slash, “V”)
- Kadee # 58 semi-scale couplers
- Coupler Cut Bars
- 2 Bolster/Jack Pad Styles (flat and sloped faces)
- North American Railcar High-Performance Low Friction Trucks Barber S-2 100 ton-ton trucks with semi-scale 36” wheels
There are 12 road numbers available in this release, change quantity in cart to order more than a single car, road numbers are:
- 1 CPWX 605164-01
- 2 CPWX 605262-02
- 3 CPWX 604305-03
- 4 CPWX 605251-04
- 5 CPWX 605153-05
- 6 CPWX 605007-06
- 7 CPWX 604876-07
- 8 CPWX 604879-08
- 9 CPWX 604875-09
- 10 CPWX 604781-10
- 11 CPWX 604946-11
- 12 CPWX 604873-12
For a complete list of all the different versions and explanations of the differences on the Hawker Siddeley 4550 cu ft Cylindrical Hopper go to this link: Click Here.
Copyright Darrell Sawyer/Freight Cars Illustrated
Looking for more NARC products? Click here!
Something else you might be interested in: