Athearn Genesis - HO Scale - SD70ACe Diesel Locomotive - w/DCC & Tsunami2 Sound - Union Pacific (UP) #1983 - Heritage Units - Dark Green, Grey & Orange With White Lettering (Era: 2017+) (SKU 141-01983)
Available On: July 1, 2022
Building on a rich tradition started in 1946, the Athearn brand is home to the hobby’s best-loved models. Athearn has brought the joy of model railroading to you for 75 years, starting from our classic ‘Blue-Box” kits to our most recent Genesis 2.0 line. With accurate detailing and painting, Athearn is the brand that any hobbyist is proud to own and operate. No matter your era or favorite railroad, Athearn truly is “Trains in Miniature.”
BRAND NEW GENESIS 2.0 UPGRADE!
GENESIS 2.0 FEATURES:
By integrating and pioneering some of the latest model advancements in the industry, Athearn is redefining model fidelity with Genesis 2.0
• Etched, see-through walkway steps
• Illuminated number boards
• Illuminated ground lights on front trucks
• Illuminated marker lights (where applicable)
BNSF 6-step version model shown
BNSF PTC roof shown
Separate, see-through etched steps
Illuminated ground lights
Redesigned underframe with more weight, dual cube speakers, and LED lighting using PCB contacts (no wires from frame to body)
PROTOTYPE SPECIFIC INFORMATION
In order to meet stricter diesel locomotive emissions standards imposed by EPA Tier II regulations, EMD modified the SD70MAC to create the SD70ACe and SD70M-2. Each model is powered by a 16-cylinder, 4300-horsepower diesel engine. On the SD70M-2, the prime mover drives an alternator and produces AC current that is rectified to DC current, which powers the traction motors. On the SD70ACe, the DC current is then “chopped” back into AC to power the traction motors.
Much of the external design is based on the SD90 series locomotives. Similar features include the full height nose door and rectangular windshields, the large flared radiators with two fans, and the positioning of the dynamic brake equipment at the rear of the long hood. In addition, the inverters were moved from inside the long hood to a box on the walkway behind the fireman’s side of the cab.
SD70ACe SERIES LOCOMOTIVE FEATURES:
• Full cab interior
• Coupler cut levers
• Flexible rubber trainline hose
• Etched see-through steps
• Lift rings
• Windshield wipers
• Accurately-painted and –printed paint schemes
• McHenry scale knuckle couplers - Kadee compatible
• Fully-assembled and ready-to-run
• DCC-ready features Quick Plug™ plug-and-play technology with 21-pin NEM connector
• Scaled from prototype resources including drawings, field measurements, photographs, and more
• Fine-scale Celcon handrails for scale appearance
• Detailed fuel tank with fuel fillers, fuel gauges, & breather pipes
• Genesis driveline with 5-pole skew wound motor, precision machined flywheels, and multi-link drivetrain
• All-wheel drive with precision gears for smooth & quiet operation
• All-wheel electrical pickup provides reliable current flow
• Wheels with RP25 contours operate on all popular brands of track
• LED lighting for realistic appearance-including lit number boards, ground lights, and marker lights (if applicable)
• Heavy die-cast frame for greater traction and more pulling power
• Packaging securely holds model for safe storage
• Minimum radius: 18” — Recommended radius: 22”
• Wire grab irons
• See-through cab windows
• Flexible rubber MU hoses
• Walkway tread
• Sander lines
SOUND-EQUPPED MODELS ALSO FEATURE
• Onboard DCC decoder with SoundTraxx Tsunami2 sound
• Dual cube speakers for optimal sound quality
• Sound units operate in both DC and DCC
• Full DCC functions available when operated in DCC mode
• Engine, horn, and bell sounds work in DC
• All functions NMRA compatible in DCC mode
• Precision slow speed control
• Program a multiple unit (MU) lashup with lead unit only horn, bell, and lights
• Many functions can be altered via Configuration Value (CV) changes
• CV chart included in the box
• Modified inverter cabinet grills per prototype
• Represent current appearance of these units as repainted in late 2017
• PTC antenna roof
In 2005, Union Pacific began to unveil a series of heritage units, commemorating the fallen flag railroads which had been combined into the UP system. In 2017, these units were starting to look a bit shabby, and they began to be repainted. These units feature many minor art differences from the originals. The repaints are appropriate for any 2017 and up modern motive power roster, and can be found anywhere in general freight service on the UP.
• NEW 6-step walkway
• NEW BNSF style PTC antenna roof
• Late production body details
The lowest-numbered SD70ACes on the BNSF roster (and some of the newest), these units were built with 6-step walkways instead of 5 steps which had been standard in earlier production runs. Equipped with BNSF-style PTC antennas, they will be right at home on any late era BNSF roster.
• NEW 6-step walkway
• Late production body details
• First time in Genesis for this number series
Part of a late-production MRL order, these SD70ACes also feature 6-step walkways like the BNSF units. The MRL units have standard GPS dome antennas on the cab roof.
In late 2020, MRL unveiled #4404, painted in a striking paint scheme that commemorates essential workers across the world. Due to the timing of the real-life unveil, there wasn’t enough time to finalize the artwork before this product announcement. We plan to follow up and show this artwork when it is finalized. In the meantime, we are looking for additional detail photos of this unit.
MRL’s First Responder locomotive is being released to honor essential workers. In keeping with the spirit of this release, the Athearn Team is pleased to announce that with each purchase of the Genesis MRL First Responder unit, we will be making a donation to Hobbies For Good; a charitable organization that supports charities and causes throughout the USA.
Tacoma Rail 7001 and 7002 are former EMD Demonstrator units. The road acquired the units in 2014 and painted them into this attractive red & white scheme. The pair are the most powerful units on the current TMBL roster and are often found running together or mixed with other members of TMBL’s eclectic motive power stable.
Order Due Date: February 26, 2021
Anticipated Delivery Date: February 2022